2022 Natalma Stakes Cheatsheet
By TwinSpires Editorial Team, Sponsored Content
By Vance Hanson (TwinSpires.com)
1. CAIRO CONSORT (2-1) – The most experienced and most accomplished filly here after taking the Catch a Glimpse S. by 2 1/2 lengths last time in her fourth start; reverted to stalking tactics that day after wiring maidens in July, and that proved the right trip as a strong pace and early duel set things up for her; has done well breaking from inside posts like this so far and is an eminently logical contender to extend her win streak.
2. COLLECTING FLATTER (8-1) – From the family of turf stars Memories of Silver and Winter Memories, she took the sod just fine in the Catch a Glimpse, fading a bit at the end after pressing the pace; appears the most likely to take control here, but must avoid getting involved in another heated battle over this longer distance.
3. G LAURIE (4-1) – Huge win first out at Colonial; although the pace slowed down through each quarter, she finished full of run to win by six lengths; third-place Katie Got Lucky came back to romp by more than 11 lengths over a sloppy Delaware strip; sire won the Woodbine Mile (G1) here and there appears a lot more to come from her.
4. LAST CALL (15-1) – One of two maidens in the field, she split a pair of next-out winners in her debut, but raced erratically and did not relax enough in her follow-up appearance; blinkers come off today in the hopes she can settle more, but others look more favorable going in.
5. ADORA (6-1) – Debut victory was sharp, she had a legit excuse in the Schuylerville (G3) at Saratoga when getting knocked out at the start, and the rebound effort here in the Catch a Glimpse was fairly strong after an unfavorably wide trip; figures to benefit from a more compact field here, and barn has won this race a record seven times; things to like.
6. WICKENHEISER (3-1) – Favored in the Catch a Glimpse, she endured a wide trip and made only a modest impact while improving her position down the long straight; her post today is more favorable and the field is smaller this time, and she’s bred to be even better over longer distances; note that she’s a full sister to Breeders’ S. winner Belichick and Wonder Where S. winner Season Ticket.
7. COURTLY RO (10-1) – Benefited from that career-opening third to Cairo Consort, and the addition of blinkers, when graduating by a half-length as the favorite last time; should continue to improve with added distance, though she has a margin to make up on Cairo Consort, who has since become a stakes winner.
8. STAR CANDY (12-1) – The second from the Casse barn turned in a commendable effort first out, missing by a half-length to Courtly Ro after leading briefly in the stretch; faces that rival again and a few others that are more accomplished, but can’t discount the possibility that some progression second out in the offing and that it might be enough for her to land a small slice or more.